Loading Map

Monday, January 31, 2011

HI to MX Day 18

Nothing new to report. Still motoring along hoping any minute now for some wind. John got the drifter out this morning and we spent some time barely making headway with that. It was nice to take a break from the noise while John changed the engine oil and got some water out of the fuel. Yesterday he transferred the fuel from the jerry jugs on deck to the tank and noticed a considerable amount of water in them. I've also noticed a fair amount of condensation in various cupboards below.

The big news of the day is that Ziggy actually slept with me this morning. He has never slept with us on our bed. When he was a kitten he was too little to jump up to the Pullman and we didn't encourage it. As an adult he has a very strict sense of personal space (we get lots of "don't touch me" nips), and he won't sit in our laps or even climb over us to get by. So imagine my surprise when he slipped into the quarter berth after I had settled in for my morning off watch. I was so pleased by this new behavior that I didn't want to move for fear of disturbing the moment. I didn't sleep very well, but it was extremely satisfying to break this barrier at last. He will be the happiest of we three when the engine finally gets shut down, though I don't know what we'll do then for heat!

{GMST}31|25.090|N|130|43.170|W|Hawaii to Mexico Day 18|Day 18{GEND}