Loading Map

Friday, November 20, 2009

Waxing Poetic

Well, I've also been doing my share of poetic rhapsodizing - unfortunately it's all in my head in the middle of night watches, and it never makes it into the computer! Am happy John shared the truly joyful part of the otherwise long, unending, monotony of a passage. I know we have friends who love the passage making part of cruising, but I truly don't know how they do it. When I'm off watch all I want to do is crawl into that lovely hot box we call the quarter berth where I can stretch out and let the waves roll me from side to side in between our padding of spinnaker, drifter, two Freebags (small bean bag "chairs"), and five pillows. With a specially constructed breeze diverter at the dorade vent (John used a sheet of paper and some blue tape to make the breeze funnel towards us) and a fan, I manage to stay comfortable. Unfortunately John runs at higher temps than I do and last night I got to slide onto a sweaty bunk after he got up. But he's been keeping things nice and neat in the cockpit, he gets all the gear set up and torn down for our deck showers, AND he shares litter box duties, so I have it pretty good.

When I'm on watch it's all I can do to grab something to eat and drink in between the 15 minute horizon checks we do (for ships and weather). On my 0400-0700 watch I've been eating a little dry granola with my tea (I refuse to drink the instant coffee John drinks on passages). On my 1200-1700 watch the last couple of days went like this: first hour - hard boiled egg; second hour - half a pamplemousse; third hour - crackers and hummus; fourth hour - dry roasted peanuts; fifth hour - bag of Raisinets. We get our 1/2 cup peanut ration on odd days of the week; Weds and Sat I open a new package of cheese (little ones); and Thurs and Sun I pull a portion of corn or pumpkin bread out of the freezer. Those are all our treats in addition to whatever else we feel like having. But we have not cooked or shared a meal so far on this passage. Personally, it's easier on my stomach to spread small snacks out rather than eating an actual meal. Plus who's going to cook it? I'm not even reading much or listening to pod casts. There's just too many interruptions ("Is that cloud going to turn into a rain squall?" "Is that a ship on the horizon and is it headed our way?" "Is that 10 degree course shift permanent or just a temporary fickle wind?" "Is that jump from 5.5 knots to 6.3 knots too much wind, and how long is it going to last?" "Should I wake John to let him know about any of these things?" YES!!)

And yes, it's still hot and sweaty here at the equator. Of course the boat is all closed up except for the companionway hatch, and day time temps are usually 85 and humid down below. Last night I saw 82 at midnight but I forgot to check it again at 0400 to see if it was any cooler. I can't say we're looking forward to the rougher windier sailing of the northern latitudes, but I think we may actually relish the cooler temps (so sue me if I complain about that when we get there!).

Linda