Loading Map

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Off to the Broughtons

We made it out of Alert Bay on time this morning at 0900 and headed to the fuel dock. My estimate of $4/gallon of diesel wasn't quite accurate. We ended up paying $156 CND for 224 liters of fuel. That's $117 US for 59 gallons or $1.98. Not bad really, though the price at the Alert Bay fuel dock was much less than other fuel docks we checked on the way.

We're spending the night at an anchorage called Goat Island which doesn't have much to recommend it other than a beautiful view and a few bald eagles flying around. We're using friends Kathy and Tycho's charts, and there's a note pointing to Goat Island which says, "Eagle in only tree." The tree is still there but the eagles seem to prefer other trees these days.

I went out fishing for a couple hours this afternoon and had to race back in WOT (Wide Open Throttle) because a thunderstorm was setting in. I thought I was watching, but I found out about a half mile from the boat that I was about a half a mile too late. I got soaked in the last 2 minutes! Thankfully Linda was there with a dry towel and a hot meal when I got back. No, I didn't catch any fish.

M&D, you were wondering what we're up to when I skip a day or two writing to the web log? Mostly I'm waiting for something interesting to happen. If I wrote about all the mundane stuff, you'd be bored to tears!

Phil's race ended in Hanalei Bay on Kauai. I'm not sure of the web site but I think it's http://www.sfbaysss.org if you want to check the results and email us directly about how he did. We'd love to know after listening/talking to him most nights during his passage!

That's about all for now. If it would just stop raining I'd go check the crab trap to see if we have anything. Linda wants pancakes for breakfast but a crab omelet with cream cheese and onion is sounding pretty good to me.