Loading Map

Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 8

143 nm made good, all sailing. 1898 miles to go. (Over 1/3 of the way there!)

We've had the pole on the jib for a couple days now. Last night when I reefed the jib for a small squall I noticed some fraying on the rope where it goes thru the pole. After looking at it this morning I came to the conclusion that something needed to be done so we spent 2 hours on deck moving lines and adding chafe protection on the rope. The problem is 2 things, 1) the pole is too long for this jib and 2) the ropes (called sheets) are old. These two things almost cut the sheet in half in two days. I'm going to change to some new sheets with better chafe protection tomorrow. One more thing to fix in Hawaii.