Loading Map

Saturday, October 22, 2005

First His Fishing Pole, Now This

October 22, 2005
Bahia San Francisquito

In the process of getting ready to prepare a meal of fish tacos for dinner tonight, our Corning Visions saucepan fell off one of the companionway steps. Attempting to prevent it from hitting the floor at full impact, John tried to catch it with his right foot but it had already shattered. So he now has a nice one inch cut in the ball of his foot right between his big toe and the next (index?) toe. Unfortunately it runs from the edge of the calloused ball of the foot to the tender base of the toes, making it tricky to keep closed. Took him a long time applying pressure to get it to stop bleeding. He has three butterfly bandages Super Glued to it with gauze taped over that, and we've elevated the leg. So now he just needs to keep it immobile for 24-48 hours to give it a chance to close up. Of course one trip to the bathroom and I can see blood under the gauze again already.

Oh, and I ended up having to fry the trigger fish John caught this morning. He'd already prepared the batter and I didn't want it to go to waste so I had him talk me through the basics. It turned out fine, but I swear I'd almost be a vegetarian if it wasn't for him since I don't like cooking meat (he usually cooks and I do the cleanup).

If it isn't one thing, it's another, but at least this is the perfect place to sit for a couple of days. Our friends on SolMate are moving on down the road tomorrow, so we'll catch up with them later in Santa Rosalia.

Linda (reluctant nurse) and John (always the patient)